Computer Stupidity

As if this muthafucka needed an introduction. But in case you be one dense ass bitch, I'll spell it out for ya - Any and all rants about any and all things can be directed to this here forum. Rant on mah brothas!

Moderators: Gomer, Asshander

Hellraiser
Disciple of Shaft

Computer Stupidity

Post by Hellraiser » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:38 am

Well it appears that it is now my turn to reformat my harddrives and start over. It seems that some important startup file became corrupted and will not allow my computer to load properly. I get a blue screen of death right after the system tries to begin loading windows. Duh!
I have tried reinstalling window 2k over the existing version to do a quick fix, but because the raid supporting driver is not standard on the windows disk, I think for the time being, I am screwed.

Any ideas? Since my two harddrives are setup to run in a raid, would formating the drives, and then installing windows 2000 on just one of the drives be an option for the time being? (If so, would this be an easy fix? and are there any setting that would have to changed, either physically or with in Bios?) Any suggestions or should I just wait three weeks to get it fixed?
Other then losing a few documents that I should have backed up (not really that big of a deal) and not having a working machine, I am not too pissed off. I was planning on doing a reformat this summer to get rid of some of the clutter that has collected on my machine. I just wish it could have been on my terms and not the computers. Looks like I will have to find something else to do for the next few weeks.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:35 am

From what I've heard, having to reinstall to a RAID 0 when Bill decides to be stupid kinda sucks. It's not like you can just plug the HDs into another machine and gank the data off of them - the RAID controller has to rebuild the RAID array properly. Something we had to do on my machine when we built it (and I believe it was mentioned that we had to do it with yours as well) is that we had to grab some 3rd party RAID drivers, and at some point in the install, Bill said "Put your 3rd party RAID drivers into the floppy disk now if you want" and once we did that, it was able to build the RAID array and install like normal. So you might wanna try that. You'd have to look at your mobo documentation to figure out what drivers you'd need, or you might be able to figure it out from the diagnostics when you boot up (it should say something like "Building RAID Array...blah blah"). The RAID drivers might be on your motherboard's installation CD, if it came with one. Worst case, you'd have to d/l them yourself, from another computer obviously, and pop them onto a floppy. It should be doable, just a pain in the ass. If you manage to get it that far and it goes ahead with the reinstall, make sure you don't have Bill reformat your drive, otherwise you'll lose everything. I was able to reinstall XP over my existing 2k installation and it saved everything on my HD (basically it just replaced the Windows directory and cleaned out my registry, which is what you want I think). I imagine a 2k-over-2k install would do the same.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried booting up in safe mode? You might be able to get to a desktop that way, and maybe replace the file that's bitching (or if nothing else, maybe backup some of your files to CD just in case you end up having to reformat eventually). I forget which OS you're running, XP or 2k, but you might be able to find someone else with the same OS and have them send you the file that Bill is complaining about. It's pretty ghetto, but sometimes it works.

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:43 pm

Yeah, I pretty much thought of or tried all those solutions also. (thanks) I do recall having to hunt for the drivers on the net during the original install. Unfortunately, I have none of the documentation, nor the needed drivers, with me down in SD so I figure I will just have to wait. Sneaking on my roomates computer while he is out to class is a bitch and I just barely have time to do my homework in that period of time, so driver hunting on the web is not really an option at this time. (Good thing my roomate has a nice color printer for me to use so I dont have to waste the ink in mine.)

I also tried running in safe mode, but it will only load windows. After that any funtion will cause a crash, so I gave up. I figured my best bet is to find something else to do for 3 weeks and see what can be done using minds of those far superior to mine in computer knowledge. :)

The Clit Commander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by The Clit Commander » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:07 pm

If you are running RAID0, you may as well call it a day and forget about any data you may of had. If yer RAID goes when runnin 0, forget it. Ive never seen data recovered. RAID1 or RAID5 are the ways to go. RAID0 has too many problems.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:06 pm

Well, I don't think his RAID died, just the OS. I'm guessing that the data on the drives is still OK, he just needs to get something bootable setup to access it - unless I'm misunderstanding the problem. Whatever the case, discussing it here is pretty pointless since he won't be reading it until his machine gets fixed. Oh the irony.

Hellraiser
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Hellraiser » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:13 pm

Hehehe!!! Finally!!! I have succeeded!!!

After having five days to think about it and a clear mind, I waited till my roomate finally logged off his AOL Chat and when out drinking to attempt fixing my problem. After trying a million possible solutions, I found one that worked. As I had thought and tried to describe, and Jobu was hinting on, some file in my Windows startup was corrupted. I originally tried re-installing Windows but appearently I needed a specific raid driver that I did not have with me. After 3 days of thinking, it dawned on me the first loading splash screen had the information I needed to download the right driver files. To make a long story short, I appears that I have fixed the problem. I just have to reinstall all the programs again to get them working again. At least the 40gigs of mp3s, 40 gigs of movies and Tv shows, and homework was not lost. Now to install the reinstll the video card drivers to get out of this awful 16 colors mode.