Antelope Valley stupidity

As if this muthafucka needed an introduction. But in case you be one dense ass bitch, I'll spell it out for ya - Any and all rants about any and all things can be directed to this here forum. Rant on mah brothas!

Moderators: Gomer, Asshander

Gomer

Antelope Valley stupidity

Post by Gomer » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:34 pm

So I'm sure most of you are well aware of the recent departure of numerous stores/restaurants out of the Valley Central Way shopping center in Lancaster. What was once a huge retail hub in Lancaster is now just a monster parking lot for the Wal-Mart that is still there. With that in mind, allow me to direct you to the following link:

http://www.avpress.com/n/tusty1.hts

So, to summarize, they're going to "revitalize" the place by adding a SUPER Wal-Mart and a huge 99-cent store? Am I the only one that thinks this is an incredibly stupid idea?
The plan calls for a 204,000-square-foot Wal-Mart Super Center...
First of all, does the AV really need another Wal-Mart? Last I counted there were at least 3 or 4:

The existing Valley Central Way store at 20th East and Ave. I
The one by the mall off of 10th West and Ave. P
The newer one off of 47th St. East and Ave. S
The other newer one in East Lancaster (20th East and J?)

That's 4 existing Wal-Marts, and that's not even counting the Sam's Club they just opened by the mall (which is really just Wal-Mart's version of Costco). Typically, when you think of a "revitalization" of something, you're introducing something new and fresh to it - not adding more of whatever is already there. In fact, I think it's reasonable to assume that if something is in need of "revitalization", it's because what is already there isn't working out very well. Is the AV really that much of a Wal-Mart whore? Do we really need to make one of the existing four stores a "SUPER" store? And what the fuck is the difference between a SUPER Wal-Mart and Sam's Club? I thought Sam's Club was the SUPER Wal-Mart. I guess I was mistaken.
DDR will demolish the vacant House2Home building to make room for a new, 24,080-square-foot 99¢ Only Stores building.
What a great idea - we all know those 99-cent stores are IMMENSE moneymakers! I know everytime I'm driving through that area of Lancaster I think to myself, "We could really use a bigger 99-cent store right about here. The existing one just doesn't have enough room to showcase all of its fine wares." I'll use the same argument I just used regarding Wal-Mart - how many fucking 99-cent stores do we already have in the AV? Too many to count. So they're going to stimulate sales by putting a bigger one over there? Does that make sense to anyone else? Are 99-cent stores really that significant to the income of the AV? If so I think that speaks volumes for how sad this place has become.
The project also calls for removing existing buildings such as the vacant Hudson's Grill, the former Love's barbecue and the existing China Star restaurant to make way for Wal-Mart's parking lot, with some of the businesses possibly being relocated.
Um, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Costco leave because Lancaster didn't wanna strongarm the 99-cent store into making way for the Costco Gas Station? So now they're pushing other businesses out of the way, forcing them to relocate for the Wal-Mart? What the fuck? I guess as long as the 99-cent store gets their mega-center, no one else is going to bitch? If it was going to come to relocating smaller businesses anyway, then why wouldn't you do this for Costco instead of Wal-Mart? That way, you've got 2 huge retail warehouses (Costco and Wal-Mart) rather than a SUPER Wal-Mart and a big 99-cent store? I ain't not no economics expert, but it's my guess that Costco would bring in a hell of a lot more money than the 99-cent store, regardless of how large of a building it is located in. Who's dick did the 99-cent store owner suck to get this arrangement worked out?

I'm not typically so passionate about this sort of thing, but I read this article today and couldn't believe my fucking eyes. They're doing exactly what they wouldn't do for Costco for Wal-Mart. Personally, I think Costco contributes a hell of a lot more to the valley than a fourth fucking Wal-Mart. And a monster 99-cent store is about the stupidest fucking thing I could think of to replace Costco over there. Who thinks this shit up?

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Wed Mar 10, 2004 12:29 am

Two comments:

1) What are these unnamed retail tennats? Could be good, could be bad. Have to wait on that.

2) Glad I don't work for the City of Lancaster and rely on them for my bi-weekly paycheck.

Devil's Child
Disciple of Shaft

Home Sweet Home

Post by Devil's Child » Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:21 pm

Ahh, can't wait to return to the beautiful and thriving AV next week! haha

The above rant belongs in the editorial sections of the AV Press (hell, even the even the LA Times) and whatever other "local" papers inundate the AV has nowadays.

:twisted:
"I hope you like Norwegian black metal, because I don't do earbuds." -- Rolph, The Office, Season 9, episode 13