A Review of Audio Reviews

As if this muthafucka needed an introduction. But in case you be one dense ass bitch, I'll spell it out for ya - Any and all rants about any and all things can be directed to this here forum. Rant on mah brothas!

Moderators: Gomer, Asshander

Metal Lord
Disciple of Shaft

A Review of Audio Reviews

Post by Metal Lord » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:36 pm

So every now and then I’m in the market for some new audio equipment and like any good consumer I check out reviews of potential products. Usually a Google search will get me to where I need to go which more often than not leads to Amazon. Reviews on Amazon are plentiful and usually quite helpful. They are mostly short and to the point and even have answers to specific questions which in turn can be even more helpful. If Amazon doesn’t sell it, it usually does not exist except in the world of high end audio equipment. Occasionally sites like CNET or PC Mag or actual periodicals such as Sound & Vision will have reviews of products. But who reads actual magazines anymore?

High end audio gear is still sold in brick and mortar shops. You can’t buy it online. Manufacturers want you to hear what you are buying and be sold by people who are enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the world of sound. That then makes it difficult to find reviews from a place that sells it. Enter forums.

And there are a ton of forums. There is a forum for just about everything. Name a subject and there is a forum for it. While there can be some useful information on these sites the anonymity the sites offer can for the most part make it difficult to weed though the bullshit and get even a small morsel of useful information. The initial post can be fairly straight forward but so many of the following posts are totally useless. Hiding behind their internet curtain users will post rude or stuck-up/snooty comments adding nothing to the topic. Trolling? Maybe. But it is so annoying to have to read past these posts by these insecure douchebags especially when technology is involved. They think they know it all and their opinion is the only thing that matters even if it makes no logical sense. Losers.

But the main thing that grinds my gears is that the product being reviewed gets lost in the review itself. Why? The life is sucked out of the review because the person doing the reviewing for some reason finds it necessary to tell you all about their system. If speakers are being reviewed they spend more time telling you about what the speakers are connected to. Oh and they always use a term like “driving” to describe what is powering their speakers. It may be technically correct but they come across as douche bags. And when speakers are concerned they always, ALWAYS, compare them to their old speakers and lament how great they were. If they were so great then why are you replacing them? Get another similar set if need be but don’t tell me all about your obscure speakers and how awesome they were. Writing about your old speakers does nothing for the person reading the review as they have no frame of reference.

There are so many manufacturers of audiophile gear that there is no way to know what people are talking about. A handful of people might know what one is talking about when they say their Brand A amplifier drives their Brand B speakers and how great it sounds when hooked up with Brand C component but not as good and your Brand D whatever. To most this is just useless chest beating. Someone is insecure about something and it is not their stereo components.

The other thing that makes me insane is when these guys name all the cool things in their audio system when they are not cool at all. You’re on an audio forum for audiophiles. Audiophiles spend big money on obscure crap. Does it actually make a noticeable difference in sound quality and music enjoyment? Well that is debatable and something to be discussed another time. The point is when these guys are naming off their components that the reader is supposed to jerk off to they mention their Sony or Pioneer receiver that they probably picked up at Best Buy or a Sears back in the day. Sony makes the cheapest crap around. The last thing I’d put into a system and then brag about is a Sony product. I’d keep that shit hidden. Run of the mill stereo or home theater components that you can pick up at your local walmart or got a killer deal on Amazon are not high end and should not be wasting peoples’ time having to read about it.

I could go on and on about the atrocities people make of reviews but then I’d be pretty much doing the same thing and perpetuating this madness. I may have done so already.

Devil's Child
Disciple of Shaft

Re: A Review of Audio Reviews

Post by Devil's Child » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:02 pm

Putting together a sweet system?

:twisted:
"I hope you like Norwegian black metal, because I don't do earbuds." -- Rolph, The Office, Season 9, episode 13

Metal Lord
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Metal Lord » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:34 am

Devil's Child wrote:Putting together a sweet system?
It's always an ongoing process. Let me tell you all about my system.... :lol:

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:48 pm

Metal Lord wrote:
Devil's Child wrote:Putting together a sweet system?
It's always an ongoing process. Let me tell you all about my system.... :lol:
I'm sure Gabe will be thrilled to hear that. :lol:

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:33 pm

Metal Lord wrote:words
Have you found the AVS forum to be useful? I seem to recall them, years ago anyway, being relatively snobby and helpful.
Gomer wrote:I'm sure Gabe will be thrilled to hear that. :lol:
I had forgotten all about that, but without even clicking on the link it came rushing back. Ha!

Metal Lord
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Metal Lord » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:48 am

Gomer wrote: I'm sure Gabe will be thrilled to hear that. :lol:
I had forgotten all about that too. So much so that I had to check the link and then it hit me. :lol:
Asshander wrote:Have you found the AVS forum to be useful? I seem to recall them, years ago anyway, being relatively snobby and helpful.
Can't say I am familiar with this forum. I typically don't rely any one in particular. You know except for Jobu's of course ;)
I just happen upon which ever forum when a search takes me to one(s) that is discussing the topic I am interested in at the time.