Server stupidity

Somethin' on dis here forum site dat just ain't kosher wit you? Think of some new dope-ass color scheme? Gots an idea fo' a sweet new forum? Den dis here be da place to post all o' dat shiznat! Word is bond.

Moderator: Gomer

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Server stupidity

Post by Asshander » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:57 am

First, let me preface this: I figured right away it was my connection being dumb. I checked several sites, all on different hosts and such and so forth, and everything looks fine on my end. And now my pseudo-rant.

I'm sorry to say, but I think this host is just as bad as the previous It's only been a couple weeks (week and a half&#63), but it's already proven to be slow, and now today, the variety of errors is shocking. So, here they are:

A plain "nobody's home" network error, as though, there's no site to be seen.

And then the specific ones:
HTTP Error 507

507 Unexpected

The Web server encountered an unexpected error while communicating with the ASP service.

Please contact the server's administrator if this problem persists.

And:
HTTP Error 501

501 ASP Service Disabled

The ASP service has not been started or has been temporarily disabled. Please try your request at a later time.

Please contact the server's administrator if this problem persists.

It's being slow as fuck today. I'm having to try multiple times just to post/read anything, and frankly, this is pretty shitty if it's only been a little over a week.

Unless this is some sort of severe anomoly, I don't think this bodes well for the future.

Anyone else run into these things&#63 I'm not putting it past saying saying it's just my connection, but I'm pretty sure it's not.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:24 pm

Odd, I've been visiting on and off all day today, and haven't seen any errors. I've prolly swung by here at least 4 or 5 times today too. Whenabouts did you get these errors&#63 I was just thinking this morning that it had been behaving itself rather well the past week or so...

I can't help but wonder if (at least regarding the 501/ASP related issues) that this is something fairly common when running an ASP interpreter on top of a non-MS platform. I mean think about it, they're trying to run MS proprietary software on a Linux server. Doesn't surprise me one bit if that alone is causing it to be stupid.

Not saying that excuses it from not working though. If this host doesn't work out (gonna give it the full 3 months and see what happens), I may just try going to PHPBB, that way I can run on a Linux server w/o worrying about the ASP service shitting out every other day. Or I could go to an MS-based server with Snitz. Whatever.

Anyone else having trouble&#63 Noticing anything wierd&#63 Bueler&#63

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Mon Apr 28, 2003 2:16 pm

I was wondering the same, if it was related to running the ASP shit on linux. I got the errors when this threat was started essentially. It's been fine since I posted this thread, but for a good half hour, it was a piece of shit doing nothing but various errors.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Mon Apr 28, 2003 6:42 pm

It's possible they were restarting the ASP service or something. Dunno.