phpBB Update

Somethin' on dis here forum site dat just ain't kosher wit you? Think of some new dope-ass color scheme? Gots an idea fo' a sweet new forum? Den dis here be da place to post all o' dat shiznat! Word is bond.

Moderator: Gomer

Jobu
Voodoo Deity

phpBB Update

Post by Jobu » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Realized this weekend that the forum software hadn't been updated in close to 10 years! Yes, I am a terrible sysadmin.

So major update installed today, bringing everything to the current release. Just did a little random clicking around and everything seems to be working OK. Let me know if you notice anything out of line. There are some minor visual updates that I've noticed, but overall the theme seems pretty similar to what it has always been.

Speaking of which, the phpBB team are working on a major front-end overhaul that will change the look and feel of things pretty significantly. You can get an idea of what they're working on by checking out their blog post on the topic here. I'll be sure to grab that update whenever it drops (and not 10 years from now).

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Re: phpBB Update

Post by Asshander » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:30 pm

Any idea where the "active topics" link went? That's what I used to know if something new was posted.

The new look (whenever it's ready) looks pretty nice!

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:46 am

Asshander wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:30 pm
Any idea where the "active topics" link went? That's what I used to know if something new was posted.
"Quick links" in the top-left corner.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:15 pm

Gomer wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:46 am
"Quick links" in the top-left corner.
My savior! (Except that it says there are no active topics. Uhrt?)

Jobu
Voodoo Deity

Post by Jobu » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:09 am

Asshander wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:15 pm
My savior! (Except that it says there are no active topics. Uhrt?)
Apparently it's tied to a setting that got disabled with the update. I just turned it back on, so maybe things will start popping in now? I still don't see any listed, but maybe it only picks up active topics after the setting is enabled. Give it a day or two and hopefully something will drop in.

Edit: Should be working now. I had to run a database query manually because of some old-ass bug from 7 years ago. One of the perks of infrequent updating! :roll:

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:05 pm

That definitely did the trick. Although, the "new posts" seems to be working well now, too, so that's two good options. Overall, headache aside, it seems like this is a pretty good update.

Random curiosity, but does the software allow for auto update?

Jobu
Voodoo Deity

Post by Jobu » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 pm

Asshander wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:05 pm
Random curiosity, but does the software allow for auto update?
I don't think it will auto-update, but I might be able to have it notify/email me when a new version is available. Also, updating from a recent version of the software is a lot easier than updating from a super-old version, so it shouldn't be this cumbersome next time. Unless of course, I wait until 2028. :lol:

Hellraiser
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Hellraiser » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:54 pm

I can't imagine what the internet will look like in 2028.