Ok, since you don't want to play MMUD (with instructions)

Dis forum be da pot dat collects all o' da shit dat don't belong in any o' the otha' forums. Lemme break it down fo' ya'll: If dese here forums needed an enema, dis one would be where da hose would get stuck, you dig?

Moderator: Gomer

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Ok, since you don't want to play MMUD (with instructions)

Post by Asshander » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:14 pm

I've been sitting on this domain for a lot of years so I figured I'd go ahead and put it to use. I never played Trade Wars back in the day, but I think it can basically be seen as the genesis of the browser-based, turn-based strategy games that are so popular now. So instead of trying to get everyone to play mud (ahem), I figured I'd throw this game up on a server and see what happens.

If anyone plays it and enjoys it, spread it around. There's nothing else to be found on the site (except for another game like this that's currently broken), so, whatever. All you need is a web browser.

http://asshanders.com/bnt/

Hit up the FAQ in the game if you want to know what the hell is going on. This little Flash video will also give you a basic start: http://web.archive.org/web/200702020614 ... basics.swf

Also, you may want to change your password once you log in -- that's under Options.

After talking about it a little today at work I decided I'd write a few quick pointers that might be easier to read than the included newbie guide, so here's how to get started. Anything past the initial phase you'll want to read the included documentation.
  • You have a finite number of turns and can use them as quickly as you can click (or see Trade Routes). Every 6 minutes, regardless of you being logged in or not, you'll receive an additional 3 turns. You can stock up to 2500 before you cease accruing them.
  • To start off, in the bottom right hand corner use warp points to move from one sector to another. It's instantaneous. Click the [scan] next to the sector to see information about it (it'll make more sense later). Go to sector 1 (click on the >> or the number). Go to the trading port and see that it buys or sells stuff. Go back to the main sector screen and go to sector 2 via warp. Go to the port and buy all the ore you can hold and sell your energy. Go back to sector 1 and sell your ore and buy energy. Do this several times until you have some creds and then go back to sector 0 and go to the Special port and buy a hull upgrade or three which will allow you to carry more commodities. Wash, rinse, repeat.
  • Sector 0 (Sol) is essentially the "capital" of Federation space (I think -- and there's no combat in Federation space). Also, sectors connect linearly -- 0 connects to 1 which connects to 2 which connects to 3 and so on, but they can also connect non-linearly, i.e. 1 connects to 2 but also to 404, 4320, and 4703 (later on you'll find you can create and delete warp points).
  • Keep doing that and upgrading stuff, mainly worrying about your hull for now. Also, be sure to buy an emergency escape pod and an emergency warp device.
  • Keep exploring into space via warping and find different ports and commodities to trade.
  • Look up Trade Routes in the FAQ to see how to automate your moves and make money in a hurry.
  • Read the FAQ for what stuff does and be prepared for however the hell this goes once you get kicked out when your technology level is 8 or higher (check your ship status to see that).
That's as far as I've gotten (and as I write this, someone else has jumped WAY past me) but it should be enough to get you a feel for at least 1/3 of the game, the other 2/3 being planet building and warfare...I think.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Re: Ok, since you don't want to play MMUD (with instructions)

Post by Asshander » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:03 pm

Bump.

A few more people are playing now so it's actually starting to pick up a little steam. The game as it is running right now can be considered to be in "test" mode, so this is your chance to get in, try it out, and then when I restart it (in a week or two), we'll play for "real" for however long we decide to let it run.

Also, note that I left a few paragraphs of instructions in the previous post to help get things moving. I realize that it's a kind of confusing game, but once you get in and burn some turns, it makes sense pretty quickly. That said, it's surprisingly deep and allows for a variety of different strategies to play.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:01 am

So, BNT was mentioned this past weekend... Just for giggles, the current version of the game (it's still being developed, more or less, though I've no clue what changed) is running here. Yeah, different website. Why? It didn't want to work right on the other even though it's the same host. Meh, whatever.

Anyhow, I'm still tweaking things mainly because I like doing this crap, not because I think everyone will want to play or even that I have a burning passion to play. If anyone's interested in actually playing, I can reset the game. Or leave it. Whatever. It's there--do as you will. (Was kind of kicking around the idea of opening it up to viewers on the YT channel, but I'm not sure many (any?) would be interested in this kind of game.)

The point of this post, assuming you made it this far, is to solicit suggestions for other games. Preferably something a little more casual since not all of us have the time/ability/desire to play these games that, somewhat, demand a chunk of time even if they are casual. I've done some searching, and aside from Shadows Rising (an RPG I've installed but don't have any interest in making functional), I'm not seeing much that looks like it's a) still being updated; and b) looks reasonably casual. I suppose an old game not getting updates is fine so long as it's stable, but I haven't played many of the other games out there so I don't know which are good and which aren't. Therefore, if you have a suggestion, by all means let me know.

There is Legend of the Green Dragon, which is a clone of Legend of the Red Dragon you may remember from the BBS days. Aside from that? Not seeing much.

Now, if you have no interest/time/etc. that's fine, but I thought I'd throw this out there since I have web hosting going to waste and enough time to get one of these games working.

If I could find a way to get MMUD to run from a browser (more correctly, MegaMUD), I'd install that (again), too, because you know I have enough spare computers lying around.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:32 pm

For me, BNT just wasn't my cup of tea. And I don't have the time or patience for a MMUD-type of game anymore (those Legend of the Dragon games looked very MMUDish). For me that ship has sailed.

I'm pretty out of touch with any of these kind of games these days, so I wouldn't have any idea what to even suggest at this point. Honestly, you know what I think would be really cool? We make our own game - some sort of web application that you play in your browser, no special software required. I've been wanting to get into an open source project for a while now, but haven't found one that's a really good fit for me. Rather than try to get into an existing project, why not create one? I'm sure putting our collective heads together we could come up with something cool. I know nobody else here is really into programming, but there's more to it than that - graphics/illustrations, site design, content ideas, testing - I'm sure we could find something for everybody.

That's my 2 cents anyway. :D

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:04 am

Gomer wrote:Honestly, you know what I think would be really cool? We make our own game - some sort of web application that you play in your browser, no special software required. I've been wanting to get into an open source project for a while now, but haven't found one that's a really good fit for me. Rather than try to get into an existing project, why not create one? I'm sure putting our collective heads together we could come up with something cool. I know nobody else here is really into programming, but there's more to it than that - graphics/illustrations, site design, content ideas, testing - I'm sure we could find something for everybody.
Seeing as you're the programmer of the group (and potentially (likely?) the only one doing any coding whatsoever unless Ketch wants to get involved on the coding), I think you'd need to narrow it down to what you feel capable of taking on. I love the idea, but I don't know what's realistic to achieve.

I suppose it's not an easy thing to pin down, but I'd ask a couple of questions as a way of narrowing the focus.
  1. What language is this going to be written in?
  2. What kind of game? Something casual? Something more in-depth? Genre/type?
  3. Mostly text driven? Something graphically driven?
I think those questions help determine what we're looking at. I imagine depending upon the language chosen, that's going to, in part, determine the type of game and how expansive it is. BNT, for example, is all PHP and is text driven (and heavy on the database side). The various Mafia/bootlegger games are as well. But I imagine something like Runescape would require a more capable/flexible language, never mind a lot more coding.

And that then gets into the question of what kind of game? I think the kind of game, in part, determines what everyone can contribute. Something that's more text driven, for example, allows me to play to one of my strong points, while something that's graphics heavy (especially so if there are lots of animations and things) goes into a weaker area for me--but maybe someone else is more graphically inclined than I, so that'd favor their abilities.

At this point, I can tentatively say I have time to contribute. I can't say to how much, but I'm sure I can find some time throughout the week. Not sure where, but I imagine I can. ;)

I'd be curious to hear everyone else's thoughts as well.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:10 am

All good questions. At this point my thought was to do a PHP backend-database driven text-based game, with maybe some JavaScript to pretty up the front end. I suck with graphics, so I think starting with a text-based deal would be the best option to get something up and running (relatively) quickly. And if designed properly (a BIG if :lol: ), adding a graphical front-end later on would be an option that wouldn't require too much effort to integrate. Hell, once the actual base game gets off the ground we could write a mobile app to play through.

As far as the content and what the game will be about - that'll probably be the hardest thing to decide. The idea of a fantasy/MMUD type game still appeals to me, but minus all of the grindy shit that you have to do in those games. Sci-fi is cool too, and might be of wider appeal amongst our group. I'd have to give it more thought. I don't want to just regurgitate what's already out there though, I'd like to try and make something new and unique. But that'll require getting some input from those of you who have more familiarity with the current batch of web-games. What I'd ask at this point is:

- What games are you playing/have you played that you enjoy/ed?
- What was fun about them?
- What sucked about them?
- How would you make them better (sky's the limit here, pretend we can make anything happen)?

I think that would give us a better starting point. And it would help me evaluate from a technical standpoint what I'll need to do on the design/programming side.

Edit - just had an idea: some sort of text-based survival horror game. Think back to the Resident Evil games of old. Not the more action-oriented ones they make now, but rather the ones where you had to conserve ammo, solve puzzles, strategize, etc. Something like that might be cool.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:37 pm

Ya know, I don't do web games these days. I haven't the slightest clue what the current trends are, but I'd assume (perhaps incorrectly) many of the popular mobile games could be recreated as a web game, some even with PHP.

And that's part of my hang up, I'm not sure what PHP is capable of. I imagine you could create a proper mud with PHP, but I don't know how it'd work out with system timing and all of that. I imagine you'd need to write your own client to access the game since those games are constantly updating the screen, not refreshing. But those are generally grindy time sinks.

When it comes to what's around and what's good, I'd have to defer to pretty much anyone else here. Again, more input is probably needed here.

I play ARK, 7 Days to Die, Mount and Blade, Fallout 4... there's no way those are going to be web games, and graphical requirements aside, they're completely different kinds of games from more casual web games. I occasionally bust out a Kairosoft game on mobile, but that's about it. Their stuff doesn't, generally, translate to multiplayer, so... I'm afraid I'm not of much help.

I like the idea of survival horror... the thought that popped into my head was along the lines of Evolve or someothergamecomingoutsoon where X players are hunted, and Y players are the hunters. Kind of like Left 4 Dead's competitive mode, only Evolve has 1 hunter instead of a team of them.

Don't know if that's appealing or feasible. And doesn't have to be competitive--I generally prefer co-op these days, but that's just what popped into my head. I suppose it doesn't have to be multiplayer at all, but I think that greatly increases its appeal to the masses.

Metal Lord
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Metal Lord » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:41 am

Hmm I'm not sure how or if I can contribute to this endeavor. I still don't even know what MMUD is referring to :lol: