Latest Home Improvement Project

Dis forum be da pot dat collects all o' da shit dat don't belong in any o' the otha' forums. Lemme break it down fo' ya'll: If dese here forums needed an enema, dis one would be where da hose would get stuck, you dig?

Moderator: Gomer

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Re: Latest Home Improvement Project

Post by Asshander » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:39 am

Even without being able to compare to the previous year's usage in the same month, that's still considerable. It'll be interesting to see how you compare with this month since you'll have less vacation/more school in play. Even if the overall miles driven is down, it'll give you a good idea of real-world (around the year) savings.

Have you given any (more?) thought to installing a battery for the solar? Would it be worth it in terms of expense to save that power during the day rather than get credit for it? Not sure how much credit they actually give (e.g. 1:1 at their rate, or less).

Gomer

Re: Latest Home Improvement Project

Post by Gomer » Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:27 pm

Asshander wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:39 am
Have you given any (more?) thought to installing a battery for the solar? Would it be worth it in terms of expense to save that power during the day rather than get credit for it? Not sure how much credit they actually give (e.g. 1:1 at their rate, or less).
Hadn't really considered it any further. Last I checked, prices for batteries were several thousand dollars each, and depending on the size of your house you may need multiple batteries to fully back it up. A battery would be useful if we were seeing charges as a result of excessive usage during the "on peak" (expensive) time of day. The idea being that we would charge the battery in the early morning/afternoon on the semi-cheap energy, then use the saved energy from the battery during the expensive time of day. However, since our current "expensive" usage isn't very high, it doesn't really seem like we'd get a lot of value out of it. Though you could certainly make other arguments for having a battery, e.g., being able to have power in the event of a power outage.

Of course, SCE is free to switch around their TOU rates AND the hours that are considered "cheap" and "expensive" at their will. Here's a hypothetical situation: lets say EV purchases explode over the next few years, and everyone starts charging their vehicles at night. Now nighttime usage starts to become a problem, because the grid is seeing massive spikes right after 10pm. So SCE decides that post-10pm hours are no longer "cheap" times of day, and those hours get changed to a different tier that costs more money. This would result in a huge bill increase for people like me, as the bulk of my energy usage is after 10pm. In this scenario, a battery would be the only way for me to avoid being hammered by the higher rates - assuming I could charge it up at a cheaper time of day. This is just a hypothetical scenario and I have no evidence to indicate that it's going to come to pass anytime soon - but who knows! SCE isn't in the business of doing energy consumers any favors. :roll: