Father's Day LAN 2013

Yo! Get da skinny on da latest crazy-large LAN party dat be goin down at Jobu's crib (or elsewhere). Suggest new games, post blueprints for yo' foodcart, or provide any otha' vital info. What it is mama!

Moderator: Gomer

Gomer

Father's Day LAN 2013

Post by Gomer » Wed May 15, 2013 2:46 pm

This didn't work out so well the last time I proposed it, but lets try again.

Any interest in getting together for a LAN sometime in June? I'm open to any weekend really, but figured Father's Day weekend would be a good starting point. That would be the weekend of the 14th-16th. I'm assuming we'd go for a typical Friday-night-to-Sunday run, though I might be convinced to take an extra day off if interest is high.

Games - probably the same shit as last time:

Left 4 Dead 2: Our old standby shooter.
Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie Army: Not sure if there would be any interest in running through this again on the harder mode (I think we did "Normal" last time).
Chivalry: We seriously need to take another stab at this. Even if it's just the 4-5 of us on a private server fucking around, this game is 100% pure fun.
Diablo 3: I think only 3 of us are really into this game at the moment, but there's room for one more.

Speaking of Diablo 3, there is another hack-and-slash dungeon crawler available called Torchlight 2 that is supposed to be pretty kickass. I've read it's a lot like Diablo 3 only with a lot less "baggage" (hard to explain), and cheaper to boot. Something to consider, and I don't think it'd take long at all to learn.

I'm open to any other suggestions as well, and willing to pony up a few bucks for something if need be.

What's the verdict?

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Re: Father's Day LAN 2013

Post by Asshander » Wed May 15, 2013 5:52 pm

I'm tentatively game. I'm not sure if it's the best weekend for me as I'd likely bail late Saturday night/early Sunday. I also have no idea if I can get time off at this point (never mind what I've banked), but don't let me be a wet blanket.

I'm good with the game lineup. I know that SENZA has received a few updates, but I don't think it's been anything significant. Still, it was a lot of fun and I wouldn't mind trying different weapons out.

I'm also good with Torchlight 2. I can't vet it (yet), but the first was good. They definitely added some niceties in the first one that even D3 lacks (and also a useless thing or two worth ignoring).

Metal Lord
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Metal Lord » Sat May 18, 2013 9:25 am

I'm down for this but will prob leave kinda early Sunday.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Sat May 18, 2013 6:33 pm

Asshander wrote:I'm also good with Torchlight 2. I can't vet it (yet), but the first was good.
Self-quote FTW! With a whopping 2 hours into Torchlight 2, it (unsurprisingly) plays like the first one. It's enjoyable. I'm not happy with my mage (specifically, the skills), but that may just be a matter of continuing to try out new skills until I find something that fits my playstyle. Anyway, I'd say it's worth a spin at this point and think it'd be a kick 4 player (it plays faster than D3, so it might be a bit more chaotic, which I think would be fun).

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Sat May 18, 2013 7:48 pm

Remember, the weekend can be changed at this point if availability is scarce on the one I proposed.

Hellraiser
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Hellraiser » Sun May 19, 2013 8:00 am

A different (later) weekend might work better for me since I will probably be busy that weekend with birthday stuff. Also decided to build a new machine, so pushing it back would give me some extra time to build and set it up.

Perhaps that following weekend?

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Sun May 19, 2013 10:23 am

Hellraiser wrote:A different (later) weekend might work better for me since I will probably be busy that weekend with birthday stuff. Also decided to build a new machine, so pushing it back would give me some extra time to build and set it up.

Perhaps that following weekend?
Nice!

I can work with that time frame.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Mon May 20, 2013 9:02 am

Hellraiser wrote:Perhaps that following weekend?
This sounds good as I just learned yesterday we may already have plans for Father's Day weekend. So lets tentatively go with the weekend of the
21-23 at this point.

Ketch
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Ketch » Mon May 20, 2013 9:49 am

I am down for any weekend, however if we go with the weekend of the 21-23, I will have Bri so I will have to bring her over and may not be able to game as late because of that.

As for the games, the list looks good, and since pretty much everything is already installed it would make setup a breeze.

Diablo 3, is on sale at Amazon for 35 until May 25th for those that might be interested....clicky.
"if you can't spot the sucker in your first thirty minutes at the table, then YOU are the sucker" - Rounders

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Mon May 20, 2013 10:07 am

Ketch wrote:I am down for any weekend, however if we go with the weekend of the 21-23, I will have Bri so I will have to bring her over and may not be able to game as late because of that.
Can't swap weekends? You'd be giving over a month's notice at this point.

Ketch
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Ketch » Mon May 20, 2013 4:45 pm

Gomer wrote:Can't swap weekends? You'd be giving over a month's notice at this point.
Knowing her...probably not, unfortunately, but I can try none the less.
"if you can't spot the sucker in your first thirty minutes at the table, then YOU are the sucker" - Rounders

Ketch
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Ketch » Thu May 23, 2013 5:53 pm

With our video game lineup set, I was thinking what other games we may be interested in. Generally Choi (Big 2) and Texas Hold'em would probably be givens, but I was wondering if we wanted to shake it up even further, such as a board game or *gasp* D&D.

Not that I think it is necessary, but I wondered if there was additional interest. There are several different classic board games I am sure we can play, and as for D&D I heard 4th edition was quick and easy (compared to previous versions), and was like a "video game" although I don't know if that would make it any fun, not having played any of the other versions.

Pretty much just throwing it out there, and I am sure the LAN will be good either way.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Thu May 23, 2013 6:59 pm

Ketch wrote:With our video game lineup set, I was thinking what other games we may be interested in. Generally Choi (Big 2) and Texas Hold'em would probably be givens, but I was wondering if we wanted to shake it up even further, such as a board game or *gasp* D&D.
I won't speak to D&D since the last version I really know is 2 (or is it 2.5?), but I do have Catan (along with the Seafarers expansion that opens it up to 6 players).

Ketch
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Ketch » Thu May 23, 2013 8:13 pm

Yeah I would be interested in trying Catan. I know nothing about it other than its fairly popular, but I wouldn't mind trying it out.

With regards to D&D, yeah I know nothing of 4th Edition, I read the players manual for 3rd Edition once, but never even played that. I think we would all be complete noobs, if we decide to try it out. That being said I really wouldn't even know what would be needed to actually play the game. Hopefully just dice as that is all that I own, and I actually have two sets.

I say bring Catan, and if there is interest we can give it a go.

Hellraiser
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Hellraiser » Thu May 23, 2013 9:10 pm

Pagedown on the D&D.

Id be down for a board game.

Ghettoloply would get my vote.