Labor Day LAN?

Yo! Get da skinny on da latest crazy-large LAN party dat be goin down at Jobu's crib (or elsewhere). Suggest new games, post blueprints for yo' foodcart, or provide any otha' vital info. What it is mama!

Moderator: Gomer

Gomer

Labor Day LAN?

Post by Gomer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:36 pm

Any takers? I would like to get one more in before my social life dies at the end of September. This is assuming, of course, that it hasn't already died by Labor Day. The due date isn't until the end of September, but you never know. I kinda have to do it on a holiday weekend as I'm trying to stockpile every last hour of vacation time I possibly can before the big day, so Labor Day it is.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Re: Labor Day LAN?

Post by Asshander » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:59 pm

I'm probably game, but I ask the question I always ask: what'll we play? Last time we did Quake Wars, but interest in seems to be waning in that.

Have we finally reached a full console-based LAN party yet? Everyone stock up on cheap copies of Gears and Halo and R6 etc. now?

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:13 pm

Ironically, I think this time around we'll have the RPG covered while the shooter is the big question mark. I figure WoW can serve as our RPG game (even tho we haven't played lately, getting us all in a room at the same time might spur more interest). As far as QW goes...yeah, I was gettin kinda burned out on that last time. Is there nothing newer than QW that we can give a whirl? I haven't been keeping up on FPS games at all lately. Battlefield 2142? Crysis? (might kick some our machines' asses)

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:48 pm

WoW? I'm ambivalent. I forget the last time I hopped on the server, actually.

Shooters: we're in the same boat we've been in since Quake Wars came out. The new stuff, aside from UT3 which I don't care about, doesn't have bots or a co-op campaign (well, a few have co-op, but they're the same ones that are on 360 basically).

Don't me wrong -- I'd like to do something, but I'm getting pretty burned out on some of these games. I just don't have any insightful suggestions on other stuff, so it feels like mindless bitching.

Time for everyone to get GTA4? $33 used on Amazon. But then we'd only have 4 consoles to play on. Sigh.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:27 am

Hm, well then maybe it isn't worth the trouble to do this kind of thing anymore. It would be kind of stupid to have everyone drag all of their shit over and then we spend the weekend figuring out wtf we want to play.

Personally I've got about 0 interest in playing GTA4. The only reason I've even turned the 360 on in the last few months is for when we play RB. While it might be fun to try out something like GoW or RB6 4-way, I don't see it holding our interest all weekend.

It's kinda sad that it has come to this...I have many a fond LAN memory tucked away in my brain. But it's silly to drag a bunch of laptops/desktops/360s over if there isn't a single game out there that we're all interested in.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:19 am

Maybe someone else should chime in on this since you and I seem to be drawing a blank.

We could always do another endless setlist -- this time on expert. :shock:

Metal Lord
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Metal Lord » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:49 am

One "last" LAN would be cool. I'm kinda on a different wavelength when it comes to these games. I seem to only play these games during LAN (which explains why I get owned all the time) so sticking to the classics such as Rune, SWBF2, URT, or even Doom is still fun to me. Besides my machine actually runs those OK. Even though I haven't played yet, I did go through the trials and tribulations of installing WoW so that would be something new to me but I'm concerned that I could become bored with that very quick but since I've never played it I don't know.

Console wise I don't see myself obtaining and xbox any time soon.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:34 pm

Finally getting around to replying to this...

Had a discussion about this last night. While I too enjoy a good run through the older games (Rune, Doom, UT) personally I'd really like to play something new(ish). I've had this new laptop since January and really have yet to install anything that would give the vid card a run for its money. The only newer FPS games I can think of off hand are Crysis and FEAR (I know the latter has been brought up in the past - why did we pass on it?). No clue if either can be run on the majority of our machines these days, or if it has bot support/coop play.

The retro LAN we did a while back was fun, but is there nothing newer these days that we'd all be interested in? I love playing the older games for a bit, but I just have a hard time believing there's nothing out there we can all get into that has come out this millennium. Admittedly, I'm pretty out of touch with PC gaming these days, and rely purely on "buzz" to hear about popular new games.

I guess my other "gripe" with the last few LANs is that it seems like we waste a lot of time just getting shit set up and installed. Since we don't usually have a clear idea what we're gonna play, we don't all have shit installed ahead of time and end up wasting hours getting everyone installed/patched. If we were to go ahead and get together this Labor Day weekend I would suggest that we all come over with games pre-installed and ready to play. I can't speak for anyone else, but it frustrates the fuck out of me to watch the minutes tick away while we're waiting for the latest bloaty-ass game to install, or a monstrous patch to download/install, only to have to repeat the process 3-4 times.

Though I guess it's a moot point if we can't figure out something to play. Maybe I'll try to do a little "research" this week on things I'd be interested in checking out.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:36 am

Seeing as I'm spending another crappy day at home, here's some research:

Half Life 2 has a ton of mods, and being a slightly old game (though not terribly old) and having a very well written engine, it should run on damn near anything. For an idea of a few mods available, here's a youtube video. Synergy is a coop mod which could be neat, and Zombie Panic might be fun in a hunt the goat way (no bots) assuming there's some small maps.

I'm not sure anyone wants to go there, but Counter Strike Source has bots.

Here's a FEAR co-op mod.

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory appears to have bots.

Rainbow Six Vegas 2 offers co-op in terrorist hunt mode, but only 2 player story mode (wtf?), while Ghost Recon 2 has 4 player co-op story mode and similar more player "other" modes.

Battlefield 2142 looks to have bots in the same limited (perhaps less so) fashion of Battlefield 2.

There's always Unreal Tournament 3.

So that's a few of the more recent games, some more so than others of course. Far Cry, Team Fortress 2, Crysis, Callof Duty 4, etc., these games don't have bots or co-op options, so they're really limiting in terms of options. It sucks because those are some of the good ones, too.

I'm still game for something and willing to try most anything, but I agree -- let's figure out what the fuck we're doing and get it working first if we're going to sit down and try this. At the very least we can confirm the shit works over hamachi.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:30 pm

That's funny, I came across HL2 while browsing today and thought that might be a good one to try, even if it is 4 years old. If it has a lot of mods then maybe it's worth a go? I'd be game to try it.

Why did we never try UT3? I remember trying some of the older UTs (like 2004 or whatever those "yearly" ones were) and not really getting into them as much as the original. Still, what's the harm in giving it a go?

BF2 left a real shitty taste in my mouth, so I'm not real gung-ho for trying 2142. Has anyone else checked it out?

I say we find a few HL2 mods that sound interesting and try and get those up and running. Also, I say we give UT3 a whirl - I still have some faith in that series since the original game was so kickass and was our de facto LAN shooter for years. Testing everything out over Hamachi was a good suggestion - that'll serve 2 purposes: Get everything installed and patched to current versions so we're all on the same page ahead of time, and let us try the game(s) out to see if we're at all interested in playing any for an extended period of time.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:57 pm

Gomer wrote:Why did we never try UT3? I remember trying some of the older UTs (like 2004 or whatever those "yearly" ones were) and not really getting into them as much as the original. Still, what's the harm in giving it a go?
The beta was underwhelming. Good looking game, sort of, but really just more of the same. I don't think I ever bothered to pick it up, either.

I'll have to dig my copy of HL2 up somewhere and install it. I'm not sure if the mods work with the Orange Box edition or not, so that may be something to check into before just installing that (even though I keep meaning to so I can play Portal).

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:41 am

Looks like there's 3 (or more) different user created bots for Quake 4 since it didn't come with any, and supposedly, they're good.

So add that as another possibility -- it's at least more graphically recent/demanding than HL2.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:16 pm

I've been farting around with UT3 the past few days, and I like it. What you said above was absolutely true - just more of the same. I can't decide if that's necessarily a good or bad thing tho. It's got the exact same feel as the old UT we enjoyed for so long, but we eventually did get sick of it. I'd say it's worth a shot to try out, at the very least over VPN.

I've got HL2 but have only messed with Portal thus far (which is definitely a trippy game).

I'll have to dig up my copy of Q4 - I'd completely forgotten about that one. I remember going thru the single player a couple years back...was OK. Did we never try that one because of the lack of bots?

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:46 pm

Gomer wrote:It's got the exact same feel as the old UT we enjoyed for so long, but we eventually did get sick of it.
Just to be clear, you mean UT, not UT2003?

And yes, Q4 originally lacked bots. They current bots are basically mods.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:43 am

Asshander wrote:Just to be clear, you mean UT, not UT2003?
Correct. All comparisons were to the original UT.