2006 Turkey Day LAN

Yo! Get da skinny on da latest crazy-large LAN party dat be goin down at Jobu's crib (or elsewhere). Suggest new games, post blueprints for yo' foodcart, or provide any otha' vital info. What it is mama!

Moderator: Gomer

Gomer

2006 Turkey Day LAN

Post by Gomer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:57 am

There has been a lot of talk about it so I guess I'll make it official...

Thanksgiving weekend LAN at my place. Request your days off and do whatever else you gotta do to clear off your schedules.

Are there any plans to play anything new? The retro idea was fun last time but it'd be nice to try out a new game or two as well.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:45 pm

Depending on how you feel about bringing your computer to its knees, we could try FEAR. That's the only thing that's come out recently that we could all agree to play that I can think of. Otherwise it's the SOS. Unless everyone wants to play an RTS (which I'm sure isn't the case) or an RPG (again), I can't think of much else recently. Half-Life 2? I dunno.

Here's an idea: everyone go get an Xbox 360 and Gears of War and we can play that. Yeah? Thought not.

I'll poke around a bit and see if there's anything somewhat recent that we ought to try out. Not promising anything, though.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:09 pm

Poking around resulted in not much. Battlefield 2142 (or whatever it is) is the only other recent release I found that looked remotely interesting, but it's pretty much in the same league of requirements as FEAR. I mean, both will run, but I'm not sure how well. Let's be honest here: our computers are getting old, and even if the CPUs themselves aren't, the GPUs are way behind.

Anyone have any constructive thoughts on doing something console related? A few of us kicked the idea around but couldn't come up with anything conclusive to make it work. Part of the problem is most of the console games that support more than 4 players are sports games, and I'm not sure everyone would really care to play hockey or basketball or football or whatever. The other problem is that if they support a lot more players it's quite often at the expense of everyone having a box and game and monitor to play on.

Just the same, I think it's a good idea, but I'm not sure how workable it is outside of doing 2-4 tournaments for everything, or having multiple systems and games going at one time (at which point that's little more than a clusterfuck).

Hey, we could always all get Everquest and play together. Wee!

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:30 pm

From the commercials I've seen FEAR looks pretty cool. I'd be willing to check it out, even if it doesn't exactly run like a champ on our machines. I can't speak for anyone else's rig (I can't keep track of who all has what CPU/GPU under their respective hoods) but it looked like my rig almost met the "Recommended" requirements for fear (they wanted a Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 256 MB of memory, but mine only has 128 - :( ). I figure its worth a try.

If worse comes to worse we can just do some more old school UT/Rune/Doom. Hell we could even drop back to the original BF 1942 (I'm pretty sure that one was universally enjoyed). We could at least fly some choppers then. Too bad it's such a collosal pain in the ass to install...
Asshander wrote:Hey, we could always all get Everquest and play together. Wee!
I think I'd rather go drag the 450 out of the garage and fire up the old MajorMUD server again. And I've got about as much interest in doing that as I do driving a rusty nail through my scrotum while shouting, "DOOPAH! DOOPAH!"

Would just one more XBox get us an additional 2 players for Gears of War? That might be kinda cool to try out...of course someone would have to fork out 400+ bucks for a new Xbox + wireless controller + game for that. Could we do 4-way coop or would it have to be deathmatch?

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:19 pm

Gomer wrote:From the commercials I've seen FEAR looks pretty cool...it looked like my rig almost met the "Recommended" requirements for fear (they wanted a Radeon 9800 Pro w/ 256 MB of memory, but mine only has 128 - :( ). I figure its worth a try.
I'm surprised at the recommended requirements and curious how it'd play. I could have sworn they were more demanding. Anyhow, I'm game to try it.

BTW, there's a free version of FEAR's multiplayer content (multi only, otherwise a single player demo): I haven't tried it yet, but if you're curious, there you go.
Gomer wrote:If worse comes to worse we can just do some more old school UT/Rune/Doom. Hell we could even drop back to the original BF 1942 (I'm pretty sure that one was universally enjoyed). We could at least fly some choppers then. Too bad it's such a collosal pain in the ass to install...
Yeah, that worked. And DC is usually entertaining, once you get through the install game.
Gomer wrote:Would just one more XBox get us an additional 2 players for Gears of War? That might be kinda cool to try out...of course someone would have to fork out 400+ bucks for a new Xbox + wireless controller + game for that. Could we do 4-way coop or would it have to be deathmatch?
Unfortunately, no. Its two players co-op, eight players otherwise. And I don't think that you could do four player split-screen. Pretty sure for anything more than two players you each need your own setup.

I could always lug the other Xbox over and we could have a Street Fighter 2 tournament. Woo!

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:15 pm

So has anyone tried FEAR yet, the multiplayer client or otherwise? I haven't yet, but I figure someone had to have tried it.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:34 pm

I just got finished playing the single-player demo for the expansion. It seemed cool, but definitely a bit taxing on my machine. Overall it was playable...only during parts where it demanded more out of the vid card did things slow down a bit. I didn't play with any of the video settings, I just let the game auto-detect what it felt was best.

I can't really speak for how well it'll run on anyone else's machine, but it's probably worth a try at the next LAN.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:02 pm

I don't think that bodes well for anyone hoping to play on a laptop.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:43 pm

Asshander wrote:I don't think that bodes well for anyone hoping to play on a laptop.
Probably not. It's really a matter of how much the stuff that's tough to render comes into play....there were times when I was in a relatively simple room and it ran great, but once I got into larger areas with shit exploding everywhere and smoke billowing and lights flashing the smoothness took a noticable hit. Again, this was all during single player, so they might've taken great pains on the map to "immerse" you in the game's atmosphere...multiplayer maps may not be so graphic-intense maybe?

That's probably wishful thinking though.