Proposal: Old School LAN Party

Yo! Get da skinny on da latest crazy-large LAN party dat be goin down at Jobu's crib (or elsewhere). Suggest new games, post blueprints for yo' foodcart, or provide any otha' vital info. What it is mama!

Moderator: Gomer

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Proposal: Old School LAN Party

Post by Asshander » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:31 am

Or, if you prefer, Retro LAN Party. So, what's this? It's a LAN party where we play nothing but old games.

It almost seems as for the last few LAN parties we've had more fun playing older games than newer ones. I mean, sure, BF2 and BF2 are entertaining, but they seem to get old pretty quickly. How many times can you capture the flag on the Death Star or capture a flag on an oil field? (Although, the whole choke a bitch thing was fantastic, if only because I was choking a bitch.)

So, I propose that we roll the clocks back, pull out the Pentium 2s (well, not really, but that's the most power that should be required to play anything), and play some old school stuff. Before there were objectives, there was mindless violence. Frankly, we've had too much structure and not enough senseless, wanton violence.

So, here's some game ideas. By no means is this exhaustive, and also they shouldn't be taken as must-play games. Just ideas, that's all.

/* begin list
Doom 2 (duh! but we need to pull out some old wads and play some fruity maps).
Duke 3d (DFA!, freeze ray, jet pack, hooray!)
StarCraft (just because)
Total Annihilation (yeah, I don't think anyone else played it but me, but what's not to like about nukes and massive cannons?)
UT (the original -- this being the exception to the structure rule as Slave Master is loads of fun, as is Facing World CTF, and Domination can be entertaining as well)
Quake 2 (ooh, how long has it been since we've played that? Maybe even do a co-op run through it)
Diablo 2 (the exception to the Pentium 2 rule, even though it is playable on a P2 300, it really almost needs a P3 500).
Rune (DM style? Don't get me wrong, I love HtG as much as the next person, but a good old fashioned Rune DM is something we've not done in a long time. I also hesitated putting this on the list since it's had so much play time lately, so I could probably take this off the list and not miss it very much.)
*/ end list

Now, one concern may be a lack of bots in these games. Doom, for instance is great with three people because of the maps, while Quake 2 needs more than three for a good DM (four or five should suffice). Duke also suffers from the "needs a little more" because of the larger maps, but the other games listed would be just fine as they are. (Also, with a lot of luck, some Doom converted Duke levels may still be floating around somewhere.)

Another concern is how they'll run on these newer, faster machines. I'm pretty sure, however, that everything will be fine since the only DOS games, Doom 2 and Duke 3d, have Windows ports/rewrites. Everything else was written for Windows and newer processor technology.

Finally, please note that I've left off anything that requires more than a little bit of reading (Diablo 2 may be pushing it here, but most quests are little more than three or four paragraphs of dialogue, and even those can be skipped since the quest log sums it up in one or two sentences) since time spent reading is time that could be better spent killing.

So, if the idea of a LAN party where even the oldest of machine can hang with the big boys sounds entertaining (I'm looking at you, iBook), then fire away with your questions, comments, and suggestions.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:00 pm

I've always had a blast playing Doom 2 in recent years. There is just something about that game that yields more hilarity than any game ever since. The last few LANs I got the impression nobody wanted to play it tho.

Ya know, with some years to play newer games, I've come to the conclusion that old school UT really was a kickass game. How long was that a staple at our LANs? 3-4 years? A lot of the newer games over the years have just seemed so bloated and buggy and never seemed to hold our interest for very long (save for maybe BF 1942, but it had nowhere near the staying power that UT had). If nothing else the Slavemaster mod really made that game shine. Plus it had some awesome CTF maps (both Facing Worlds come to mind).

I'd be willing to try others. It'd be nice to play games that don't crash every hour <coughBattlefield2cough>.

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:43 pm

Gomer wrote:I've always had a blast playing Doom 2 in recent years. There is just something about that game that yields more hilarity than any game ever since. The last few LANs I got the impression nobody wanted to play it tho.
For me, I just get a little tired of level 1. I know it's a masterpiece, but I wouldn't mind playing something else. Level 7, some custom wads, whatever. Also, my biggest problem with Doom is that I can't physically handle the game for more than an hour or two at a time because of severe Doom Claw. That game, more than any other, cramps up my hand.
Gomer wrote:Ya know, with some years to play newer games, I've come to the conclusion that old school UT really was a kickass game. How long was that a staple at our LANs? 3-4 years? A lot of the newer games over the years have just seemed so bloated and buggy and never seemed to hold our interest for very long (save for maybe BF 1942, but it had nowhere near the staying power that UT had). If nothing else the Slavemaster mod really made that game shine. Plus it had some awesome CTF maps (both Facing Worlds come to mind).

I'd be willing to try others. It'd be nice to play games that don't crash every hour <coughBattlefield2cough>.
Don't discount UT's assault and domination mods. I know they weren't as popular with us, but those are good as well. But yeah, it was quite the good game. There's some excellent DM maps for it as well. I can remember a few DM matches I played with some IRC regulars that were a blast.

Anyhow, I'd be interested to see if anyone else has any interest in this sort of thing. It seems like most of the recent stuff I just grow bored of somewhat quickly (and I'd guess others do as well since we don't have anywhere near the marathon play sessions we used to), or it'd require a new beast of a machine to play (Prey comes to mind -- not that I've even tried it). I kind of hate to do the nostalgia thing, but I'm not seeing much for alternatives right now (Half-Life 2, maybe -- or Team Fortress 2 as soon as it comes out (which is soon)).

It's either that or we all get WoW and kill a weekend grinding on Fed Ex quests and playing "Wait in the queue to log in."

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Wed Aug 02, 2006 12:59 pm

As of right now my Labor Day weekend (first weekend in September...right?) looks free. Everyone else around here gets Labor Day off, right?

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:22 pm

I do. That's also a non-work weekend for me. Double bonus.

The Clit Commander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by The Clit Commander » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:34 pm

Ive got a friggin domain migration going for the next 8 weeks, so my free time is nonexistent at the moment. Best of all however is that my motherboard on my desktop died, so Ive gotta put together a new system. Cash is tight, but Im going to put something together soon. Nice part about an old school LAN is that my 800Mhz laptop could run everything fine. Go figure. As the LAN gets closer, I'll have a better idea of where I am, but some UT and Q2 sound like alot of fun.

Metal Lord
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Metal Lord » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:28 pm

I'm down for some good ol' Duke Nuke 'Em. Those alien scum are going to pay for shooting up my ride!

Devil's Child
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Devil's Child » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:43 am

In addition to the proposed mandatory flannel attire, I propose any background music must pre-date 12/31/96. Break out those classics!

:twisted:
"I hope you like Norwegian black metal, because I don't do earbuds." -- Rolph, The Office, Season 9, episode 13

Metal Lord
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Metal Lord » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:55 am

Devil's Child wrote:In addition to the proposed mandatory flannel attire, I propose any background music must pre-date 12/31/96. Break out those classics!

:twisted:
whhhooaaaaa!! what's with this "flannel attire"? during the dog days of summer no less and when was this proposed? If I hear any Nirvana or Pearl Jam I'm out tha door.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:04 pm

Asshander wrote:Doom 2 (duh! but we need to pull out some old wads and play some fruity maps).
Gotta try and dig up some of those old DWANGO wads...I remember a few of those being pretty fun. I predict Hall.wad will own everything though.

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:18 am

Oh, and maybe we can bust some 4-way old school GTA. This was actually proposed over 3 years ago, and I have a vague recollection of giving it a shot. But I seem to recall the game being very buggy, with the network code not quite syncing up correctly on everyone's machine (i.e. person A would see person B running around, even though on person B's screen he was nowhere near that area). I wonder if they ever got around to fixing that...might be worth a shot at playing if so. Oh ya, and I believe that game needed you to run something to slow down the processor, otherwise it ran too fast to play.

Hell, it has been so long since I played the original GTA that I'm not even sure any of this is an issue anymore.