MD Pitch Black = Dissapointment, trip to restroom

Dis be da place to let all yo' homies know a lil' sumpin' sumpin' bout any fine delicacies you done been takin' in as of late. Not so much fo' eating establishments, but mo' fo' praisin/bitchin about specific food items you done consumed.

Moderator: Gomer

Metal Lord
Disciple of Shaft

MD Pitch Black = Dissapointment, trip to restroom

Post by Metal Lord » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:27 pm

Finally got my hands on some Mountain Dew Pitch Black and, ugh, what is this crap? When I first had Mountain Dew Pitch Black II five years ago or so I couldn't get enough of the stuff. I never had the original Pitch Black and wasn't ever really a big fan of Mountain Dew but this second version was awesome. The "sour bite" it had is what made it. I don't know if it was so different from regular Mountain Dew caffeine wise but the Pitch Black II would keep me up all freakin' night. Came in very handy for one particular LAN as I recall which was also, I believe, my introduction to the stuff. When I heard it was being discontinued I bought two twelve packs and cherished every can I drank. Even stretched it out long enough to have one or two available for the next LAN and was pwning n00bs all weekend long.

So I then began to miss the stuff which by all accounts was my favorite soda except for Root Beer. I would even go as far as trying the monstrosities of other flavors Mountain Dew would create in the hopes it would be somewhat similar to Pitch Black II. Imagine how psyched I am when I hear they are re-releasing Pitch Black! I had gone to many places that sell soda and came up empty every time trying to track down this sweet nectar. Hellraiser finally hooked me up with a product locator and bam! there is a gas station selling it. I head straight over after work and buy all the 20oz bottles (4) the mini mart had. Looking at the purple grape type drink looked so inviting. I couldn't wait to try it but had to. If this was anything like the Pitch Black II of old I didn't want to be up all night having to go to work the next day.

Now I'm well aware of the fact it is not "Pitch Black II" but how different can this stuff actually be? Turns out huge. This stuff might actually be worse that original Mountain Dew. Without the sour bite II had, this is just purple Mountain Dew with maybe a hint of grape flavor. Kind of makes me wish I had a crab juice option in lieu of the Dew. I was about on my fourth gulp of trying to like it when I feel my insides begin to churn. Now this didn't send me running to the restroom but I'm sure it sped things up and didn't make it a somewhat pleasant, relaxing relief a trip to the bathroom should be. But yeah I still drank the whole bottle. And as far as its caffeine effect on me, well I think it is similar to the Pitch Black II. I've noticed a bit of odd behavior from me today in my interactions with peeps here at work so it's probably a good thing I didn't try this late in the evening.

Bottom line, don't waste your time with this unless you liked the first Pitch Black. I'm still keeping my hopes up that Pitch Black II will get a re-release some day soon.

Hellraiser
Disciple of Shaft

Re: MD Pitch Black = Dissapointment, trip to restroom

Post by Hellraiser » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:47 pm

That sucks that the you did not enjoy Pitch Black at all. I have long since forgotten its flavor. Your endorsement lends to some hesitation to spoil my memory of it. I do seem to recall enjoying the stuff and my constitution being fine with it. I too did not enjoy any of the recent Mt. Dew creations, although I still enjoy Mt. Dew.

Here to hoping they release Mt. Dew Pitch Black II.