Bun Boy

Now here by popular demand, dis muthafucka' be where all mah homies straight come ta talk 'bout they fine dining experiences. Did dat place have some FINE grub? Or was they tryin ta playa-hate on yo' crazy-phat ass?

Moderator: Gomer

How did you like eating at The Bun?

Buntastic!
No votes
Meh, it was food.
20%
Fuck the Bun!
80%

Total votes: 5

Gomer

Bun Boy

Post by Gomer » Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:10 pm

As any of us who have driven to Vegas from Southern California know, the infamous "Bun Boy" restaurant is one of the noteworthy landmarks that can be visited on the way to Nevada via the 15 freeway. On our way back from Vegas yesterday, we decided to stop there for lunch, partially because we were hungry, but mostly just out of morbid curiosity. I mean honestly, what person in their right mind would decide to call their restaurant "Bun Boy"? So for those of you that were not present on our drive home (all 3 of you) I will do you the courtesy of describing our experience at this particular establishment (hereafter known as "The Bun").

Seating was good, as we were shown to our booth as soon as we walked into the building. Unfortunately, that was about the only positive thing that we took away from our dining experience. While waiting for your food, you are treated to a rousing game of "Smash the Flies Buzzing Around Your Head" using the supplied reading material at the table. After smearing fly guts all over the walls (and the magazines), a handy-dandy IQ test (more like board game) is available, in case you need to validate your limited intellect. After smashing flies and being told that you are an idiot by a board game, the food comes. I cannot speak for the others, as I did not eat their food, but my food ranked higher on the "Sucktastic" scale than I would have liked. Everyone agreed that the fries were shit. That was a unanimous verdict. As for my chicken strips they just didn't look right. I managed to stuff down one of them before ceding defeat. Later that night, I attempted to consume the ones I had left. Big mistake. Not only did they taste like shit, but the most unnatural noises were coming from my mouth as I chewed them. Gah. I wince at merely the thought of it. Anyway, while you are stuffing down your fine Bun cuisine, round 2 of "Smash the Flies" begins, as you are assaulted by the next wave of critters while you try to eat. Needless to say, it is rather annoying to watch a fly shit on your plate while you are consuming food. Finally, when you are all done, you get to wait 20 minutes for the waitress to bring you your check. This is a good opportunity to count how many flies you've killed in the previous 2 rounds of play and total your score up. Mercifully, once you have your check, you can just run it up to the cashier and pay for it quickly, rather than waiting for the waitress to mosy her ass back to your table and take your credit card and charge money to it.

Quite the experience, no? Our sentiments were summed up nice and succintly as "Fuck the Bun!" was declared upon our exit. Indeed. So next time you are driving to (or from) Vegas, and you feel like stopping for a bite to eat, stop at the nearby Del Taco or Burger King rather than partaking in The Bun. Let them kill their own damn flies.

The Clit Commander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by The Clit Commander » Thu Jun 26, 2003 1:08 pm

I ate at "The Bun" once when I was driving with my parents to LV. I was maybe 13 years old and remember getting sick to my stomach from a burger and fries. Now I usually stop in Hesperia at the In-N-Out on Main St., but coming from AV, I doubt you even get close to there.

I'll be making the Vegas trip in September, but I'll make sure not to stop at Bun Boy...

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:43 pm

Actually, I remember us driving by that very In-N-Out on the way back. It probably would have been a wiser decision. Or hell, even the Mad Greek. It couldn't be much worse.

The Clit Commander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by The Clit Commander » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:45 pm

I forgot which road in barstow, but one of them has a mcD's, and i think a few other fast food joints...

Hellraiser
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Hellraiser » Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:34 pm

While I shared the same recent experience as the rest of you, I have had a few more in which to weigh my judgment. When I was a little kid we would stop at the Bun and thosee times were good. Of course this was a long time ago and the place has seemed to have changed. My theory is that since Bun Boy is over 70 years old, the original owners no longer run the place having sold it to some other owner. This new owner knowing that the Bun had quite a "good" repution for not sucking uses that momentum to cut corners, change the interior to a more modern restraunt look, and hires a bunch of non-English speaking workers for minimum wage; while proceeding ruin what was once a fine place to eat. Unfortuanately, this change has been the destruction to what was once a fine place to eat.

Ketch
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Ketch » Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:39 pm

Bob and I didn't stop at "the Bun" on the way back, and that sounds like a good thing. We stopped at Lenwood St in Barstow at a Dairy Queen in a Pilot truck stop. We have stopped there everytime we have returned from Vegas or Laughlin for like the last 3 years so we stayed with tradition. But I will make a note to not stop at "the Bun"
"if you can't spot the sucker in your first thirty minutes at the table, then YOU are the sucker" - Rounders