Timo Tolkki's Avalon

Straight outta compton style news/reviews o' da dopest ass albums you done been listenin' to. Represent!

Moderator: Gomer

Metal Lord
Disciple of Shaft

Timo Tolkki's Avalon

Post by Metal Lord » Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:53 pm

Been listening to Timo Tolkki's Avalon - Return To Eden. Been listening to it a whole lot actually. Timo really composed some incredible songs for this album. Might be better than the first Avalon album, "The Land of New Hope", which was outstanding.

For those of you who may not be familar, Timo Tolkki is the former guitarist from Stratovarius. He had other bands after that call Symfonia, Revolution Renaissance and then did Avalon. Avalon is a project somewhat akin to Avantasia, metal opera vein. He has different musicians and singers on each album; I'm assuming crafting the songs for the various guest singers. He plays almost all of the guitars aside from a few guest solos and the musicians he gets to perform the rest of the music are world class. The production is as good as it gets, this time produced by Secret Sphere's guitarist Aldo Lonobile who also plays few licks on the album. The drumming on this one is tight by a dude Giulio Capone. Never heard of him before but he knows his shit. Secret Sphere's bassist lends the low end. The vocal performances are unreal on this one but what would you really expect from a project such as this? I actually wasn't really that familiar with the vocalists but they killed it and now have my full attention and respect. Some very catchy, moving, uplifting songs are what's in store when you listen to this. Play it loud, you won't regret it.