song rip off?

Straight outta compton style news/reviews o' da dopest ass albums you done been listenin' to. Represent!

Moderator: Gomer

Metal Lord
Disciple of Shaft

song rip off?

Post by Metal Lord » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:08 pm

This may have been brought up before somewhere about these parts.... So as you may have heard Led Zepplin is headed to court to defend Stairway to Heaven. I'm not a particular fan of Zep, like one or two songs, and Stairway isn't one of them but I don't think this case holds water. Decide for yourself...

The songs is question compared.

Someone in the comments noted, you cannot copyright chord progressions or picking arrangements. I'll assume this is an accurate statement.

I also came across this interesting vid. All the songs are redone using the same instrument, chord progression and vocals otherwise the variations on the songs might make them nearly indistinguishable. Quite interesting. I'm not super familiar with a lot of the songs and I suppose singing in the same key as the chord progression can make it appear they are all the same but what do I know. How come no one is being sued of these?

Unless Vanilla Ice is behind something everyone should stop being butt hurt that a better song was created over theirs and move on. Stop using the courts to make a buck.

Gomer

Re: song rip off?

Post by Gomer » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:04 pm

I read about this years ago, and came to pretty much the same conclusion - it's practically impossible to successfully sue over musical plagiarism unless it's a blatant copy. IMO this case, much like 99% of these types of lawsuits, doesn't hold water. Even when the artist doing the suing is someone I'm a fan of, and they're suing somebody I can't stand (perfect example: Joe Satriani vs Coldplay) I still can't get behind the lawsuit. Every time I compare the tunes there's usually a slight similarity, but not enough to persuade me that it was a direct copy. "Inspired by" the original artist? Sure. Lawsuit worthy? No.

And the whole Stairway lawsuit - this song was written 45 years ago for fuck sake. Why didn't the other band sue way back then? Is the author of the Spirit tune even still alive at this point? Who exactly is filing the lawsuit today? I haven't bothered to read up on it because the whole thing is ridiculous.

Oh and FYI - it looks like you linked to the original vid in your 2nd link? :oops:

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:55 am

On the one hand, I'm surprised there's not a statute of limitation. It's not like Stairway came out yesterday, so if you wanted to sue, it should've been done years ago. I mean, I can't sue 40 years after someone doesn't provide a contractually negotiated service, so why can someone still sue for a song? Our justice system needs revising. Though I'm guessing this is an isolated incident, it makes me wonder if this is patent trolls 2.0. Guess the future will tell.

Metal Lord
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Metal Lord » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:39 am

Gomer wrote:Oh and FYI - it looks like you linked to the original vid in your 2nd link? :oops:
Oops. My bad. It was supposed to be this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTnuGkZgaMc

Gomer

Post by Gomer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:45 am

Asshander
Disciple of Shaft

Post by Asshander » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:13 pm

Edit: originally said that I liked Rolling Stone's article because they went into a lot of little details about the trial, but I can't find that article now. A shame, because it was really good. At least, I think it was Rolling Stone.

Also, take that, you bastard. (I still haven't listened to the claimed original, nor do I care to. How's that for logic and an open mind?)